Limits of Online Tracking

No Comments

slika_blog_5

Uprising of online advertising platforms and social media has transformed the way marketers think, work and interact with consumers and offer their products and services. But what is the extent of change concerning the consumers buying habits?

Online tracking can give you lot of useful data. You can measure almost every action on your website and give it a certain value. For example, if you have a webshop, you can track your sales, revenue, which channel drove traffic to your web, your consumers online behaviour, almost everything you can think of. The whole path that your consumer made before that purchase is visible and measurable. That information can help getting to know a specific target group, but also the specific consumer in an online environment and making better decisions when it comes to allocating marketing budget across different communication channels.

But when it comes to tracking offline conversions like purchases made in your brick and mortar store or offering additional services, things can become a little bit complicated.

What if you have a webshop and a store somewhere in the city, how do you track your customer? Online purchases are easily to track and measure, but average conversion rate on retail sites is around 3%, which can be enough, but what happens with the other 97% of visitors? What if they actually made an offline purchase?

Before purchasing an item people explore brands, products and they spend a lot of time on websites, but only some of them make an immediate purchase on the site. Others bounce but some or most of the 97%, after product research prefer to come to the old fashioned brick and mortar store and buy the product on the spot. More about that effect you can read in blog post about so called ROPO effect.

Imagine if you could connect the online visitor with the offline customer, knowing his online path from online channels to your physical store. Identifying those customers used to be a limit, but not anymore…

Find out more about difference between online and offline analytics in Octalytics e-book.

 

No Comments

Leave a Comment

More from our blog

See all posts